Welcome to Stratton on the Fosse
Stratton-on-the-Fosse is situated on the edge of the Mendip Hills in Somerset straddling the ancient Roman road, the Fosse Way, now the A367, between Bath and Wells, or more locally, Radstock and Shepton Mallet. The Fosse Way, a straight and fast road, is a reminder of the village's Roman heritage. The rest of the Roman Heritage, much of which is buried underground is discussed under the tab History of Stratton on the left of this screen.
The parish has a population of about 1200 and is largely a rural agricultural landscape.
There are two prominent landowners, the Duchy of Cornwall and Downside. The Dutchy property is mainly agricultural, but also comprises a number of small industrial units. Downside School, origianlly an independent boys boarding school, but more recently co-educational is run by the Benedictine Community of Downside Abbey, occupies most of the area to the west of the Fosse Way with its large buildings and extensive playing fields.
Entering the village from the north, the landscape is dominated by the fine neo-Gothic Abbey Church of St Gregory The Great, Downside with its 166 feet [55metre] high square "Somerset" tower, the large bell of which, known as "Great Bede", daily proclaims services and the Angelus.
Should you wish to stay awhile, there is the historic Kings Arms in the centre of the village, along with other local accomodation (see Local Amenities under Useful Links on the Menu Bar).